(Adapted from *Gordon MacDonald, Restoring Joy to Your Inner World, Inspiration Press, p. 573)
“Chances are that you have a physical once a year or every two years. I recommend that you also have a “spiritual” once a year as well. Your soul care is just as important as your body care! This is an excellent list of questions to help care for your soul.” – Dr. David P. Craig
(1) Where are you right now in your relationship with God?
(2) What have you read in the Bible in the last week?
(3) What has God been saying to you in this?
(4) Where do you find yourself resisting God these days?
(5) What specific things do you find yourself praying for regarding others?
(6) What specific things do you find yourself praying for yourself?
(7) What specific tasks are facing you that you consider incomplete?
(8) What habits are intimidating you at present?
(9) What have you read in the secular press this week?
(10) What general reading have you been doing?
(11) What have you done to play this week?
(12) How are you doing with your spouse/kids?
(13) If I were to ask your spouse about your state of mind, spirit, etc., what would he/she say?
(14) Are you sensing any spiritual attacks from the enemy this week? Today?
(15) If Satan were to try to invalidate you as a servant of God, where or how would he attack you?
(16) What is the state of your sexual life (temptation, fantasy, etc)?
(17) Where are you at financially (Do you have control, debts, etc)?
(18) Are there any unresolved conflicts (ailing relatives, stress, disputes) in your circle of relationships right now (family, friends those among whom we’re supposed to feel safe)?
(19) When was the last time you spent time with a friend of the same gender?
(20) What kind of time have you spent with a non-Christian this past week?
(21) What challenges do you expect to face in the coming month?
(22) What are your fears at the present time (letting family down, bodies letting us down, etc)?
(23) Are you sleeping well?
(24) What three things are you most thankful for?
(25) Do you like yourself at this point of your pilgrimage?
(26) What are you greatest confusions about your relationship with God?
*Gordon MacDonald has been a pastor and author for over forty years. For many years he pastored Grace Chapel in Lexington, Massachusetts and continues to serve as Pastor Emeritus. He has also provided leadership to influential ministries such as Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, which he served as President for three years, and World Relief, which he currently serves as Chairman. Gordon’s best-selling books include Ordering Your Private World, Mid-Course Correction and, most recently, A Resilient Life. He also writes and serves as Editor-at-Large for Christianity Today’s Leadership Journal. When not writing, leading or speaking at conferences, Gordon and his wife Gail can be found hiking the trails of New England.