Tag Archives: Church Leadership
Excellent Tool For Developing Maturing Christ Centered Leaders
Ogden in Meyer have done a great service to the church by putting together this helpful leadership mentoring workbook in order to bring bonding and multiplying influence to ministry oriented leadership teams. I have personally used the book for several years know with church staff, elders, deacons, interns, and in order to train budding leaders. I have found that each environment I’ve used it in, (one on one, triads, and groups up to 12) there has been good discussion, accountability, and encouragement towards Christ-like development.
The workbook is broken down into four sections with three chapters in each section:
Part One: The Character of a Leader
1) Holy – Developing a vision of Christ-like Character
2) Habitual – Cultivating spiritual disciplines to sustain leadership
3) Humble – Keeping watch over your souls
Part Two: The Posture of a Leader
4) Kneeling – Embracing servant love as our primary model
5) Teaming – Building teams to accomplish our corporate mission
6) Stewardship – Stewarding gifts, passions and personality
Part Three: The Vision of Leaders
7) The Compelling Christ – Loving passionately the compelling Christ
8) Embracing the Kingdom – Engaging people in mission
9) Helping Others See – Lifting people out of lethargy and inertia
Part Four: The Shaping of a Leader
10) Taming Temptation – Facing the Dangers of money, sex, and power
11) Conquering Criticism – Handling criticism with humility and fortitude
12) Defeating Discouragement – Addressing disappointment, frustration, anger, and depression
Each chapter contains a core truth which flows from the Bible; a memory verse (there are actually several verses to memorize per chapter); an Inductive Bible Study with questions based on the specific topic being discussed; a classic reading on the topic; and leadership exercises or applications for each topic.
Overall it’s an excellent tool to use with current leaders; potential leaders; or even for any small group that wants to grow in the area of leadership and Christ-likeness. I have found it to be one of the best leadership development tools I have used in ministry and therefore, recommend it highly. It also makes a terrific sequel to Ogden’s previous workbook on Discipleship called Discipleship Essentials.